Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Laid back (with my mind on my money and my money on my mind)

I just saw a talk by Igor Aleksander on "Conscious Machines: Fiction or Fact". Aleksander has worked on "conscious machines" for 45 years. A review of his recent book World in My Mind, My Mind in the World is here. Nice talk by a charming guy, but right now the answer is fiction. More later....

In the meantime, I just heard on the BBC World Service that global warming may force French winemakers to consider the "nightmare scenario" of growing their grapes in England. Sacre bleu!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know about Alexander, but somebody who is thinking about the problem of machine conciousnes, or AI is R. Penrose ("The Emperor's New Mind"- great, but dense book). Penrose's thesis is that conciousnes is non-algorithmic, and that as of yet we lack sufficient physics to produce a thinking machine.

BTW, your link to the review of Alexander's book is broken.

Cheers,

JoSe'L

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home